Pages

Sunday 15 January 2017

2016 wrap up

And in such a timely manner, too.  As I said in my previous posts, I’m super busy this month with some theater projects, but I hope to get back on track with CPBS in February.  (This would be a great time for a guest post…. hmu with your pitch…)  In the meantime, I wanted to share my ranked list of 2016 films, as I have the past few years.

2016 was unique for me in that I took on (and completed!) the #52FilmsByWomen challenge.  You can check my final list out on Letterboxd.  I unfortunately didn’t get around to some of the feminist classics I was hoping to see (e.g. Cleo from 5 to 7, Jeanne Dielman…, and I’m a bit ashamed to say that I couldn’t make it all the way through Daisies or The Night Porter), but I did have some pleasant surprises in The Love WitchThe Diary of a Teenage Girl, Margaret Keller’s experimental films, Pariah, and The Fits.  Also, feminist film critic hot take:  Meshes of an Afternoon and Born in Flames are essential viewing.

I decided to keep the intentional diversity train rolling in 2017 by making it my goal to watch 52 films directed by people of color.  You can check out my list of films I’ve watched thus far, want to watch, and sub-challenges I’ve set for myself here.

Any way, on to my ranked films of 2016.  I didn’t get to see as many films as I did in 2015, so a lot of the Oscar frontrunners are conspicuously missing.  Overall I wasn’t blown away by 2016, but I am pleased with my top 10 and hope to make repeat viewings, especially with Hunt for the Wilderpeople.  I also ended up watching more shorts than usual, most of which I didn’t include.  I’m not sure how to categorize them versus feature-length.

  1. Moonlight
  2. Mustang
  3. Hunt for the Wilderpeople
  4. The Lobster
  5. The Witch
  6. The Love Witch
  7. Embrace of the Serpent
  8. Green Room
  9. The Handmaiden
  10. Under the Shadow
  11. Sing Street
  12. The Fits
  13. Lo and Behold: Reveries of the Connected World
  14. The Illinois Parables
  15. Two Trains Runnin’
  16. Love & Friendship
  17. Don’t Think Twice
  18. After the Storm
  19. Demon
  20. Keanu
  21. Maggie’s Plan
  22. Another Evil
  23. Sunspring
  24. Night of 1000 Hours
  25. The View from Tall
  26. Everybody Wants Some!!
  27. Imperfections
  28. Southside with You
  29. Pushing Dead
  30. Into the Forest
  31. The Intervention
  32. Afterimage
  33. M.O.P.Z.
  34. Hail Caesar
  35. This House Has People in It (not inclusive of website)
  36. White Girl
  37. Wiener-Dog
  38. Middle Man
  39. Midnight Special
  40. 1:54
  41. The Shallows
  42. Tallulah
  43. Operator
  44. Anomalisa
  45. Soul on a String
  46. Dog Days
  47. Bad Seed


via Consistent Panda Bear Shape http://ift.tt/2iYa3Up