Pages

Sunday 5 November 2017

On being in a surgery oblivion

This is a special blog post. As you probably know, my fat positive radio show has been on a world tour since 2016. At the moment, the show is working its way across Africa, and is currently in Namibia. One of the women I wanted to speak with in Namibia was Cindy from Sugary Oblivion. Unfortunately, we couldn’t figure out a way to do a recorded interview, so instead, we’ve done an interview via email. Enjoy!

 

First up, Cindy, tell us a bit about yourself:

 

Hi, my name is Cindy. I’m a 27-year-old writer, sub-editor, columnist, lifestyle blogger from Windhoek, Namibia. I’d describe myself as a body positive fat babe who is passionate about good wine, good books and good people.

 

I’m so glad we were able to work out a way for you to be on the show/blog! I just finished reading your review of Roxane Gay’s Hunger, and I’d love to know a bit more about your thoughts. To be honest, I haven’t read it. I don’t feel strong enough yet, because I know it’s gonna be a rough (but worthwhile) experience. I’m a bit too fragile at the moment, but I know that one day I will. You end your review suggesting that everyone should read it. What value do you think it brings to people?

 

Well, the most obvious value is giving a fat, black woman the space to voice her truth without being interrupted or asked to make excuses for herself or her body and therein lies the simple beauty of ‘Hunger’. Also just being able to experience different sides of a fat woman’s experience that isn’t the cliche of “was fat, lost weight, got happy” is refreshing.

 

How did you get involved in fat activism/acceptance/body positivity (& what’s your preferred term to use)?

 

I prefer the term body positivity because I believe every single body is worth love, respect and affection, regardless of its shape, size or ability.

 

I would say I’ve always been on the body positive side of things but joining Twitter and meeting and engaging with so many people across the world has definitely helped me learn (and unlearn) so much about my own body politics. Meeting my best friend was also a massive turning point for me because I finally had someone who could not only relate to fat issues but who has gone and is going through them every day. She opened my eyes to a lot of things and I think we spend a lot of time (both knowingly and unknowingly) teaching each other so much about respect and compassion for every kind of body.

 

 

What’s the body positivity scene like in Namibia?

 

The body positivity scene here is in its infancy stages but it’s definitely growing. I would say feminists here are a definite driving force to helping it grow and showing other women what reclaiming your body and time looks like. I think so many of us are pushing back in little ways and it’s been adding up. I’m proud of our little community and the strides it’s been making.

 

What advice would you give to others in Namibia, or Africa, or across the world, who are interested in being more body positive?

 

Listen. Listen to the stories of other people whose politics you admire. Listen without interruption. Listen without expecting a ‘Body Positivity 101’ lesson. Just listen and take it in and understand. Also read a lot about why body positivity is so important and why it is imperative for the movement to be inclusive across all races, ages, sizes, abilities, etc. And then I would also say live your truth, and live it boldly. Walk with the knowledge that your body is beautiful and worthy, even when you can’t see it right now, even when society constantly tells you otherwise.

 

Cool. Where can people find you online?

 

I’m everywhere (Twitter, Instagram, Facebook) as Sugary Oblivion/Sugary Oblivion Lifestyle and I blog at sugaryoblivion.com.

 

 

 

 

 



via Friend of Marilyn http://ift.tt/2AacM5t