Pages

Tuesday 10 January 2023

Day in the Life: Aerobics

Since I wrote this there’s been a bunch of changes.

I got an adapter that let me feed video from VHS to my computer. I made digital video copies of the various segments from the VHS tape. This lets me customize things a bit, such as doing a segment multiple times to work out more. Also reduces wear on an already old tape.

After I had a blood clot block blood flow to my lungs (pulmonary embolism) my cardiovascular ability decreased greatly. My main aerobic exercise has been on our treadmill at home. Post-hospital, I started walking around the house. Then I’d walk on the treadmill for an episode of The Hidden Almanac podcast – about 3 minutes. It’s been a slow recovery but I am getting more energy and stamina.


Yes, it's from the 90s
Scan of actual box cover. It

I don’t do this every day.  But if I’m doing it, it’s before my shower. I use a copy of the Women At Large: 30-Minute Workout I picked up years ago.

I do make a few modifications.  Such as:

  • I often sit during the first few starting stretches. This is because I’m not exactly a morning person and usually am dragging my feet on starting.  Sitting while doing the opening arm and shoulder stretches lets me indulge my inner foot-dragging 4-yr-old while I wake up a bit more.
  • The instructor’s hamstring stretch doesn’t really stretch mine, so I usually do other stretches then.
  • The second song has the instructor shifting weight from one side to another with lots of arm movements.  I tend to step from one foot to another to get my heartbeat up faster; this also puts less torque on my knees.
  • One move involves leaning forward, which would sometimes irritate my back. Now that I do more abs/back exercises, I don’t have this problem.
  • The third thru fifth songs are all faster-paced.  I tend to do these just like the instructor.
  • The floor work tends to relax me and leave me ready to go back to sleep…so I skip it.
This takes about 25 minutes.  I’ve been doing this once or twice a week, usually on days when I don’t go for a walk (my other form of aerobic exercise). Depending on how I feel, I may just drink water before doing this, or I may have a piece of fruit or yogurt or a luna bar beforehand.

Why do I do this?

Oh, and just in case you were wondering: No, I do not expect exercise to make me skinny.
Happier, faster, stronger, more flexible: Yes.  Skinny: No.


via Living ~400lbs https://ift.tt/Ah5EcSf