Pages

Sunday 13 August 2023

How Heat Affects The Body

I’ve heard many times that sweat helps humans stay cool in heat, and that we pump more blood to extremities to cool it before the blood returns to the body core.

But today, listening to The Daily podcast, I realized that our pulse INCREASES as part of the cooling process. If your heart or circulation isn’t up to that, it doesn’t work as well.

This is part of why older folks or those with preexisting conditions can’t adapt to heat as easily–anything that affects the heart or sweating interferes with these processes.

(The podcast also has information on how heat costs productivity in the US, especially in manufacturing and warehouses without cooling.) https://www.nytimes.com/2023/08/10/podcasts/the-daily/extreme-heat.html

Also: some medications, including for asthma/allergies or SSRIs, can make humans sweat less, which ALSO reduces your body’s ability to cool itself.

For me personally, my pulse has been elevated since the pulmonary embolism. Fold together with how aerobic exercise is difficult because my heart rate goes above aerobic range if I’m moving much. That my heart rate should increase MORE if the temperature is above 80F or so is just the sprinkles on this fun sundae.

Oh. I see. Well then. Adjustments may need to be made to my exercise routine.



via Living ~400lbs https://ift.tt/WhRk3KY