Pages

Friday 3 September 2021

Sarah Paulson’s Fat Suit Problem

Image Text: Excellent fat actors struggle to get good roles, so we don’t need thin actors wearing our bodies like a costume and cosplaying fat people.

In the upcoming series “”Impeachment: American Crime Story” Sarah Paulson plays Linda Tripp, wearing a fat suit. (Many of those defending this are calling it a “prosthetic” but, as Shakespeare once said, a fat suit by any other name would still be some harmful, fatphobic bullshit.)

David Oliver wrote about this in a piece for USA today in which I and several other fat activists are quoted.

When you give a quote for an article like this (in this case via email) it’s extremely common that they pull parts of it, break it up, etc. so for posterity, here is my full quote:

I’ll start by saying that I have been a fan of Sarah Paulson and I think she’s incredibly talented, I also know that there are equally talented fat actors who will never have the opportunities that Sarah Paulson has had, because there are so few roles for which they will be considered. I want a world where actors of all sizes get to play the lead, the romantic interest, the hero etc. but in the meantime, at the very least, I think that instead of having thin actors wear our bodies like a costume and cosplay fat people, fat actors should be cast in fat roles. This role should not have been offered to Sarah Paulson and, when it was, she should have said no and used her power and privilege to advocate for a fat actor to be cast.

You can read the full article here!

UPCOMING ONLINE WORKSHOP:

Living Your Best Fat Life – Surviving and Thriving As A Fat Person In A Fatphobic World

In this talk I’ll share realistic strategies, tools, tips, and tricks I’ve learned for dealing with weight stigma – including our own internalized body issues, and the fatphobia that the world throws at us. This talk will focus on ways that we can stop making ourselves small to satisfy our bullies and the weight stigma that drives them, and start living life large.

Full details and Registration: https://danceswithfat.org/monthly-online-workshops/
*This workshop is free for DancesWithFat members – login info is on the member page
Become a member here!

Missed one of my monthly workshops? You can still get the video here!

Like This Blog? If you appreciate the work that I do, you can support my ability to do more of it with a one-time tip or by becoming a member. (Members get special deals on fat-positive stuff, a monthly e-mail keeping them up to date on the work their membership supports, and the ability to ask me questions that I answer in a members-only monthly Q&A Video!)

Book Me!  I’d love to speak to your organization (and I can do it remotely!) You can get more information here or just e-mail me at ragen at danceswithfat dot org



via Dances With Fat https://ift.tt/3zIaz0m