Pages

Friday 19 June 2020

Guerrilla activism

I’m not good with the taking down bullies kind of activism. But I’ve been drafting up this list of different ways that someone can be a fat activist… and, for myself, I really like the idea of indirect guerrilla warfare.

Like over at pluseyes tumblr there was a post about stickering. “…print a whole ton of stickers to easily peel off and slam onto an offending billboard/poster/etc…”

Or NAAFA LA is doing a “Bookmark Project: Print and put size-positive bookmarks in diet and/or self-help books, fashion or fit magazines and anywhere else!”  (When I contacted the LA branch of NAAFA, they awesomely gave me a copy of the PDF for their Bookmark Project so that I can share it with any of you that want to participate in their project.)

Or Operation Beautiful: “The goal of the Operation Beautiful website is to end negative self-talk or ‘Fat Talk’”… by positing body positive notes in public.  An example would be a post-it that says “Your beautiful at any size” posted in a bathroom or changing room or any other place a stranger might stumble across it.

With the advent of social media, letter writing campaigns seem kinda out of date.  But I still think pamphlets that we can pass out to friends/family or mail to doctors and legislators would be useful.  One of my many side projects is trying to write such pamphlets… but it’s a work in progress.

I am of the opinion that there are MANY ways to be an activist and small impacts have a cumulative affect.  We’re chipping away at a China-sized wall.  Every voice makes us louder and every project makes us stronger.



via Fierce, Freethinking Fatties | Home of the Nouveau-Bese https://ift.tt/2YigbxX