Pages

Monday 30 October 2017

The Way You Are

The way you areBefore I forget, last week I had an absolute blast in Lexington, Kentucky talking about Fatphobia and Capitalism (spoiler alert, capitalism attacks fat people from every directions!) teaching a dance class (which was extra fun since I’ve missed dancing so much with all this triathlon training) and talking about how The World is Messed Up, but We Are Fine! Massive thanks to Ashley and Tiffany for hosting me!

I’m also super excited to announce that I’ve been selected to be a Keynote speaker at the Multi-Service Eating Disorder Association (MEDA) Conference. The conference is in Boston March 16-17. I was a plenary speaker a couple of years ago and it was such a fantastic experience that I can’t wait to go back!  My talk is Size Acceptance and Eating Disorders – A Critical, Crucial, Core Conversation.

If you missed me in Kentucky or can’t wait until Boston you can hear me right now on Erica Ormanovich’s podcast “The Way You Are.”  Erica took her own experience of recovering from an eating disorder and devoted herself ts to spreading the word on Intuitive Eating, Health at Every Size, and body positivity. As I’ve written about before, fatphobia can play a huge part in triggering eating disorders and preventing recovery, since it’s difficult to believe that your recovery is the most important thing when the world is telling you that the most important thing, by far, is being thin by any means necessary. When hating your body and being terrified of becoming fat is considered normal, full eating disorder recovery can be impossible.  Too often people think that fat activism only helps fat people, but the truth is that fatphobia hurts people of all sizes – it’s not just the shame, stigma, bullying, and oppression of fat people (thought that is certainly enough of a reason to end fatphobia,) it hurts people whose fear of being fat takes up time, energy, and money that could be spent on other things, it hurts people whose disordered relationships with food, movement, and their bodies are normalized and encouraged. There are so many reasons to dismantle fatphobia!

You can listen to my episode of the podcast here and, while you’re there, you can check out other amazing interviews!

Like this blog?  Here’s more cool stuff:

Become a Member! For ten bucks a month you can support fat activism and get deals from size positive businesses as a thank you.  Click here for details

NEW!!! Wellness for All Bodies Program: A simple, step-by-step, super efficient guide to setting and reaching your health goals from a weight neutral perspective.  This program can be used by individuals, or by groups, including as a workplace wellness program!

Over the course of eighteen self-paced, content-packed, quick videos you’ll get the tools you need to create healthy relationships with food, movement, and your body, and you’ll map out a path to health that makes sense for you, in an easily digestible format. Built-in tools allow you to track your progress and keep notes individually or as a group.
Click here for all the details and to register!

Book and Dance Class Sale!  I’m on a journey to complete an IRONMAN triathlon, and I’m having a sale on all my books, DVDs, and digital downloads to help pay for it. You get books and dance classes, I get spandex clothes and bike parts. Everybody wins! If you want, you can check it out here!

Book Me!  I’d love to speak to your organization. You can get more information here or just e-mail me at ragen at danceswithfat dot org!

If you are uncomfortable with my selling things on this site, you are invited to check out this post.

 



via Dances With Fat http://ift.tt/2yVFZUJ