Pages

Tuesday 24 December 2019

It’s a Fat Woman With a Cupcake, and It’s Fine

Fat People and CupcakesSnag Tights has been all over my Facebook recently.  They have tights, pantyhose, and chub rub shorts in bunches of colors in sizes 2-32. There are things I could nitpick (I wish they didn’t equate having a smaller bum/tum with being “athletic,” or use “woman” when they could choose more trans and nb inclusive language) but they are a more size-inclusive company than most, and they have actual fat people in their ads, which I greatly appreciate. (Full disclosure – I have no affiliation with them and have had no communication with them, this is just me blogging.)

Today in a Facebook group I am part of, it was pointed out that they put out an ad that includes a fat woman with a cupcake. This is the ad:

The text says “”Finally – tights are pantyhose are comfy! Snags are designed for all-day comfort in a range of gorgeous colours. Sizes 2 to 34. Just $12.”

The picture is of a fat blonde woman in white undershirt with a chambray shirt over it, tied at the waist, a light brown skirt, with white tights and light brown chunky heeled boots. She has a cupcake in her hand.

Snag Tights Ad

The ad got some interesting (and by interesting, of course I mean fatphobic and healthist) commentary:

CM: As a plus size woman I appreciate the use of larger size models. However is it necessary that she be eating a cupcake in the picture?

So…we are only doing things in pictures that are “necessary” now? By whose definition? Is there some rule against simultaneous tights and cupcakes that I’m not aware of? More importantly, would this person have objected if the model had been thin? Because if (as I suspect) they would not have, that means that they are treating fat people and thin people differently which is… an issue.

Snag Tights reply:

Hi CM, this was taken at a cupcake party we held to celebrate the release of some new colors. It’s jsut a snapshot form the event, nothing is meant by the photo. Everyone had lots of fun, we don’t mean to offend anybody ❤

Sounds legit.

RD reply to CM:

Right? “I am a large girl and I’m having a cupcake!” I’m not saying she had to have a salad but she’s a beautiful girl. Do you really need to put junk food in her hand to drive that “body positivity” point home? Hard miss.

Let’s break this one down:

“I am a large girl and I’m having a cupcake!”

As a large girl who enjoys cupcakes, I’m a fan of this sentence.

“I’m not saying she had to have a salad…”

Except, it seems like you kind of are? But let’s take you at your word.  So…no cupcake, but also no salad. What could this fat woman eat that would meet your (apparently very narrow) requirements for fat people eating food?

…”but she’s a beautiful girl.”

Can someone please explain the use of “but” in this sentence? She’s a beautiful girl, with or without the cupcake, BUT what’s that got to do with it?

“Do you really need to put junk food in her hand to drive that “body positivity” point home?”

Do you really need to put body positivity in quotation marks? (Spoiler alert – you don’t – and it’s suspect AF if you do.) The fact that they are still using the term “junk food” tells me that this person is likely still bought into a disordered paradigm of food morality which may be where a lot of this is coming from.

I think that asking “Do you need [to give her a cupcake]” is getting dangerously close to the dreaded food police question “do you need to eat that.” No, I don’t, but I am, and I’m not soliciting outside opinions. If I want the food police, I’ll dial Pie-1-1.

These things can tend to make us  fat people) uncomfortable because we are scared that they play into stereotypes. I’ve been there and made this mistake. I think it’s important that we understand that the actual problem is the stereotypes, and not whether or not we fit them.  Not to mention that choosing our behavior so that we avoid fatphobes’ stereotypes is still allowing them to control us. Each person gets to decide for themselves, of course, but I’m not good with that, and I’m absolutely not here for suggesting that models and the people who hire them should be constrained by what fatphobes might or might not think.

Moreover, this kind of food policing hurts people of all sizes. Fat people shouldn’t have to appear in public only in ways that conform to some misguided notion of “health.” It is imperative that we not (including as a function of internalized oppression) engage in “good fatty/bad fatty” language that perpetuates not just fatphobia but also healthism.

In other words, let them eat cupcakes!

Was this post helpful? If you appreciate the work that I do, you can support my ability to do more of it with a one-time tip or by becoming a member. (Members get special deals on fat-positive stuff, a monthly e-mail keeping them up to date on the work their membership supports, and the ability to ask me questions that I answer in a members-only monthly Q&A Video!)

We did our holiday card as a video this year. Happy Holidays from me and my family to you and yours if you’re celebrating any. If you’re not, then happy December!

Need some fat-positive end-of-year cheer? Here’s a playlist of re-vamped holiday songs that highlight things like the importance of fat-friendly seating, singing the praises of our amazing bodies, and just saying no to giving unsolicited weight-loss gifts. Enjoy!

Like this blog?  Here’s more cool stuff:

Body Love Obstacle Course

This e-course that includes coaching videos, a study guide, and an ebook with the tools you need to create a rock-solid relationship with your body. Our relationships with our bodies don’t happen in a vacuum, so just learning to see our beauty isn’t going to cut it. The world throws obstacles in our way – obstacles that aren’t our fault, but become our problem. Over the course of this program, Ragen Chastain, Jeanette DePatie, and six incredible guest coaches will teach you practical, realistic, proven strategies to go above, around, and through the obstacles that the world puts in front of you when it comes to living an amazing life in the body you have now.
Price: $99.00
($79.00 for DancesWithFat members – register on the member page)

Wellness for All Bodies ProgramA simple, step-by-step, super efficient guide to setting and reaching your health goals from a weight-neutral perspective.  This program can be used by individuals, or by groups, including as a workplace wellness program!
Price: $25.00 ($10 for DancesWithFat members – register on the member page)

Love It! 234 Inspirations And Activities to Help You Love Your Body
This is filled with thoughtful advice from the authors Jeanette DePatie, Ragen Chastain, and Pia Sciavo-Campo as well as dozens of other notable names from the body love movement, the book is lovingly illustrated with diverse drawings from size-positive artist Toni Tails.
Price: $9.99 softcover, $7.99 Kindle, ($6.95 + free shipping for DancesWithFat Members)

Non-Members click here for all the details and to register!

Book and Dance Class Sale!  I’m on a journey to complete an IRON-distance triathlon, and I’m having a sale on all my books, DVDs, and digital downloads to help pay for it. You get books and dance classes, I get spandex clothes and bike parts. Everybody wins! If you want, you can check it out here!  (DancesWithFat Members get an even better deal, make sure to make your purchases from the Members Page!)

Book Me!  I’d love to speak to your organization. You can get more information here or just e-mail me at ragen at danceswithfat dot org!

I’m (still!) training for an Iron-distance triathlon! You can follow my journey at www.IronFat.com .

If you are uncomfortable with my offering things for sale on this site, you are invited to check out this post.



via Dances With Fat https://ift.tt/2Sp5Opt